The SRWC is an all volunteer organization that relies on members’ talents and experience to coordinate social and activity groups for our members, and sponsor community events and fundraising to support our philanthropy programs. There are many ways to help within the SRWC, both in-person and virtually. Time commitments for volunteer positions vary from a few hours for a specific event to single or multi-year terms.
Volunteer to Support SRWC Endeavors
These volunteer positions are important for the SRWC to effectively function as a non-profit community service organization.
• Join the SRWC leadership team by becoming a Board Director or Board Assistant. Board Directors, with support from their Assistants, serve as the governing body of the SRWC and are responsible for overseeing the organization’s activities. These positions are nominated by the SRWC Nominating Committee and elected each April. Board Directors work with their Assistants and other team members on a regular basis and the SRWC Board meets monthly.
• Serve on the Fundraising Committee or Philanthropy Committee as an appointed member with a set term. The Fundraising Committee oversees the fundraising area of the SRWC, continually striving to respond to community needs with resources, volunteerism and commitment. The Philanthropy Committee oversees the selection of grant recipients and the distribution of the charitable funds raised by the SRWC over the previous year. Committees meet monthly.
• Become a Social Club or Activity Chair. These are the individuals who coordinate activities like Book Club, Dinner Club, Birthday Lunches, SRWC Hikes and Winter Fun Activities, Sunriver Knitters and Loose Cannons. Social Club or Activity Chairs plan the yearly schedule and coordinate group activities. They are not required to attend all of the group functions.
• Be an Event Greeter for the many SRWC functions held throughout the year, such as monthly SRWC Luncheons, the Welcome Event and Celebration of Giving. The time commitment for volunteering for each event is about 2-3 hours, and Greeters can select which events they wish to work.
Volunteer to Support the Community
These volunteers are critical in enabling us to be a caring partner to our neighbors, non-profits in south Deschutes County, local businesses and visitors.
• Chair or Co-chair a fundraiser and use your managerial abilities to plan and execute a community event such as the Art Fair, Art Auction and Wine Event or Winter Gala. There are also many opportunities to be part of the event team and participate in everything from promotion to logistics. Some events, like Art Fair, are made possible due to over 100 volunteers, while other events, like the Winter Gala, involve far fewer. Read more about these events on the SRWC website under Community Events.
• Become a Power of 100+ Ambassador. The Power of 100+ program awards $10,000+ to a non-profit in the south Deschutes County area. The Power of 100+ Ambassadors meet a few times each year to develop a plan for networking efforts, such as informal gatherings and other recruiting events to spread the word about the selected signature projects.
• Help with Twilight Cinema Concessions. Each summer, the Sunriver Village holds cinema nights either in the Village or at the SHARC. The SRWC runs the refreshment booth to raise funds for non-profits in the community. Volunteers spend a couple of hours outside at the movies selling concessions.
• Join the Community Picnic Committee. The picnic is hosted by the SRWC and is open to all residents in the greater Sunriver area. Typically held in July, the Community Picnic brings together friends, neighbors and newcomers to the area. Volunteers meet beginning in the spring to plan the event.
To support the SRWC and the Community, please go to your member profile page on the website and add the activities and volunteer opportunities that interest you by checking the boxes listed under Group Participation. Not a member yet? Go to JOIN US and sign up.